Image – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COOjdgpyAWc
Butterflies are a chiefly diurnal group of insects belonging in the order Lepidoptera. Adult butterflies have large, often brightly colored wings and conspicuous, fluttering flight. These beautiful creatures are often used as a form of symbolism. Many forms of literature have used butterflies to symbolize different things. In one Japanese belief, a butterfly was seen as a personification of a person’s soul, whether they be living, dying or already dead. Some superstitions state that if a butterfly enters your house, the person whom you most love is coming to see you. Other people (surprisingly) consider these creatures as bad omens.
Regardless of the way we view them, butterflies are so beautiful that they are used in different forms of art. Many jewelers craft butterfly-shaped accessories.
Here is a tutorial by Cool2Craft that will teach you how to make a metallic-looking butterfly pendant. You will be using an awesome technique that will make you create the look of metal with the use of a paper bag and burnt glue!
Tools and Materials Needed:
1. Two Pieces Brown Paper Bag
2. Butterfly Template of Your Choice and Pen (used as a marker)
3. Aleene’e Tacky Glue or any tacky glue of choice
4. Paint Brush or Old Card
5. Piece of Wire
8. Rub ‘n’ Buff in Gold
1. Your butterfly designs can range from the simplest of shapes to the most intricate of curves. Try to make your own templates by drawing a few practice outlines on a piece of paper. Once you get the desired shape, cut it out and it’s now ready to use!
2. If gold isn’t your cup of tea, you can use a silver metallic paint or another jewel-toned color! Be as creative as you want!
3. The size of the butterfly that was shown in the tutorial can be a bit overwhelming for some of you, so what you can do is to reduce the size of your template. You can also choose to make a few small butterflies and string them together to make a pretty chunky necklace.
4. Of course, you can always use this technique with other designs! You can make templates of dragonflies, bows, boxes, hearts and other patterns for various projects!
Note – the original video is no longer available! However we found another one from the same channel that uses the same burnt glue technique to make a different type of object. Best we could do, sorry.